Something of our history ...
Holy Trinity Church was erected in 1844 by Weightman and Hadfield of Sheffield. It cost £2,500 to build, and the money was raised by public subscription. £2,000 of the cost was donated by Mrs Cathehrine Heathcote, who ran Elmfield House School, located on the Burgage in Southwell.
The church was built to provide an Anglican alternative to the more choral services of Southwell Minster, and also to provide some much needed extra accommodation for parishioners. The church offered a "simple form of congregational service in which all might be able to join, and which all could appreciate and understand".
There have been 12 vicars of Holy Trinity since it was built. Rev John Connington (1846 – 1878) was an eloquent preacher, but had strict ideas about the upbringing of children. He would lecture any mother who he thought was failing in her duty, even stopping her in the street to do so, and if he considered that any child was being spoiled through the sparing of the rod, he would seize the miscreant and punish him with a whipping!
Canon Ernest Arthur Coghill (1890 –1941) was much loved by his congregation for his kindness and generosity of spirit. Indeed, the present elderly people’s accommodation, near the church, is named “Coghill Court” after him. It was Canon Coghill who in 1907 finally abolished pew rents, making the church “free and open.”
Our current Vicar is Rev Andrew Porter (1969 - ?)